6 a.m. Moving up the Mountain!
Paul and Fiona have asked me to let you know in real time what is happening.
Although the weather forecast normally comes in by 11.30 ish pm, last night’s didn’t come in until nearly 1 a.m!. When it finally came, it talked of mid to high level winds-approx 20-40- knots for Everest. It also said they were not expecting any major snow, just light snow ( me…a good thing). There would be a few clouds but not a lot. While the weather forecast was coming in I could hear a dog barking in the distance. This is the first time I have heard it since I have been here-maybe it was Mallory wishing them “good luck”!
Leaving Camp 3
Paul and Fiona checked in this morning at 6 a.m. and said they were just leaving Camp 3 on their way to the South Col (Camp 4) They have their two wonderful Sherpas, Dasona and Mingma with them. The weather here at Base Camp is cold but beautiful. We had a light dusting of snow last night which softens the harsh look of the rocks on which Base Camp is “built” – rocks on top of a glacier-the only flat areas are where the Sherpas have piled the rocks up so the tents, both sleeping and communication, storage,cooking and dining can be erected!
The sun is just beginning to rise over the mountains around here (you cannot see Everest from Base Camp) and it has the feel of a very special day.
I will continue to do regular updates over the next 24 hours or so as I receive them from Paul and Fiona. (and yes Damien, I am using the little stylus-no fancy keyboard for me!!!) They hope to reach Camp 4 by lunchtime, rest and then if everything is going well, go for the Summit later tonight.
My big sister Sue- Happy Birthday. Just as well we had your party last year or I wouldn’t have been able to make it!
“Stay tuned” to your computers – I will let you know how things are going as I hear.