In March 2006, Paul Adler and Fiona Adler left for their attempt to climb Mount Everest. 

We posted live updates here throughout our climb, as well as during the final stages of our preparation.  We hope that this helped our friends, family and other interested parties to experience the adventure with us along the way.

Our current projects are www.womow.com.au and www.myeverest.com



« IMG Team summits, getting ready at C2 | Home | Base Camp Friday 19th May »

All dressed up with nowhere to go


Fiona writes today's update in our tent, propped up against her down jacket & suit. Photo Paul Adler.

Location: Camp 2
Altitude: 6425m
Local Time: 4:45pm, 19th May
Weather: Very windy & snowy overnight, then fine

Hi everyone, it's Fiona here,
Unfortunately we're coming to you from Camp 2 and not Camp 3 due to new weather forecasts and strong winds last night.

A Last Minute Decision
We woke at 3:30 this morning to get ready for our 5am departure for Camp 3. With backpacks packed, down suits on, sunscreen thawed, and chemical heat warmers activated, we headed into the dining tent for a quick breakfast and to put on our climbing harnesses and crampons.

As agreed yesterday, we radioed base camp for an update on the latest weather at 4:30am. (Base camp receives these by email at around 10pm each night - way past our bed time!)

What a disappointment. The forecast for Sunday 21st (the day of our proposed summit attempt) had gone from average to pretty bad. In fact, that day is now forecast to be the worst for a while with very high winds of over 60 knots and snowfall.

After much deliberation, we decided to stay here at Camp 2 for a while. Camp 3 is really too high to spend any length of time waiting for weather to improve.

More Rest at C2
After discussing our strategy for a while, we returned to our tent and sleeping bags at around 6am. We've since spent much of the day between our tent and the dining tent - trying to stay hydrated.

Our Plans
The various weather forecasts that we receive or overhear all seem to indicate some sort of easing in winds and snowfall towards the middle of next week (around 23rd - 25th seems most likely). We are unclear yet as to whether the winds will drop low enough to allow a summit attempt, but this is what we're aiming for now. This would mean staying at C2 until 21st or 22nd - not ideal but also not too bad either. (I guess this is why C2 is also known as Advanced Base Camp.) But of course everything depends on the new weather forecasts we receive between now and then.

Welcoming Back the Summit Climbers
Camp 2 has become the non-offical welcoming point for the returning IMG summit climbers. We have enjoyed congratulating all of these climbers on their immense efforts and hearing about their summit stories. They've all shared little tips with us about managing their oxygen, rest points, keeping hands and toes warm, managing food and water to stop it from freezing etc.

Most of this group were fortunate enough to summit in absolutely perfect weather conditions. We hope we can do the same soon. Some of them retured all the way to C2 on the same day of their summit, while others have chosen to rest and spend the night at C4 before coming down to C2 the next day.

Your Messages
We have been overwhelmed with all of your messages of support and encouragement. It's fantastic knowing we have so many supporters out there.

In answer to a few specific messages...

Eric - we haven't planned to leave anything on the summit. I believe there is enough clutter up there already.

Hi Jack - great to hear from you. The team is all missing you here. Hopefully you've enjoyed a big juicy steak by now and have stopped having "that steak dream again"! Glad to hear you're feeling normal again. Our sat phone number is on the website under Contact Us. Best way to get in touch is to text message us - instructions are there too.

Marina - thanks for your message and enjoy your holiday. Well done on completing the Oxfam walk as well - a huge effort!

Tanya - Sorry I didn't recognise who you were at first. Thanks heaps for your messages. Would be great to catch up once we get back to Oz.

Tina - great to hear from you and learn that our little quest has somehow inspired you to change your life for the better. Congratulations on your acheivements so far. We all have our "Everests" to climb.

Jan - Sorry to disappoint but it looks like we won't be finished by Sunday. Enjoy Fiji and say a big hello to Rachel for me

Cheers, Fiona

Messages


Posted by: Liz - Upper Montclair, NJ USA on May 19, 2006 10:26 PM AEST

Hang in there! Sending strong good weather vibes all the way from here so that you can also summit on a great weather day.

Wishing you heaps of luck,
Liz (& Tara Luanne)
.....


Posted by: Liv, Palma de Mallorca on May 19, 2006 10:34 PM AEST

Hi Guys:
Have you met the Mallorquin climbers? We received news that two of them made the summit yesterday. Hope the weather turns for the better for you. Good luck and hugs - not too hard as there is not much oxygen.. ;-)
.....


Posted by: Valerie & Rummy Apollo Bay Victoria Australia on May 19, 2006 11:02 PM AEST

Dear Paul & Fiona. You've put in all the hard work and now it's time for mother nature to cooperate. All of the "sea level dwellers" are hoping for a wonderful outcome. No matter what happens, you have every reason to be fantastically proud of your accomplishments. We're thinking of you. Rest well and climb safely when the time comes. Cheers---Valerie & Rummy
.....


Posted by: Jan Laing Melbourne Australia on May 19, 2006 11:31 PM AEST

Hi Fiona and Paul,
So sorry to hear of the change in weather conditions. Here's wishing you all the best for a summit mid next week. I'll be thinking of you while I'm lying beside the pool!
Joking aside, I WILL be thinking of you and hoping that all goes well for both of you. Someone will have to text me with the news. Good luck.
Jan
PS I'll pass on your 'hello' to Rachel and I know she'll be wishing you all the best too.
.....


Posted by: Dame (Ballarat, Victoria, Australia) on May 19, 2006 11:49 PM AEST

Hi Guys,
The photo of Fiona typing out the messsage on a full size keyboard has given your secret away. Here I was thinking all this time that you two were typing your messages by tapping them out letter by letter on your PDA screen using the little pointer stick thing! Your system looks much easier than that. I guess there are some luxuries you can take with you. Bad luck about the weather - at least you found out when you were still "relatively" low. Love, Dame
.....


Posted by: Tamara and Boris Kufman, Jacksonville, Florida on May 20, 2006 12:21 AM AEST

Dear Paul and Fiona,
We enjoy reading your updates very much. Good luck on your final climb.
Sending you lots of sunshine from Florida.
Love, Tamara and Boris
.....


Posted by: Peggy Brown Quad Cities Rock Island, Il on May 20, 2006 01:13 AM AEST

Paul & Fiona
Read the updates every morning and evening. Know you were hoping to keep going but glad to hear you are playing it safe. You will all get there. The pictures are great. Give Dennis our best and sure would like to see him without the beard.
Stay safe.
Peggy {Mom Brown}
.....


Posted by: MC - Vancouver, Washington, USA on May 20, 2006 01:41 AM AEST

Hi Fiona and Paul
I love the title you chose today, "All dressed up with no where to go." Keep up your great sense of humor and attitudes. I can imagine the disappointment at the "good" decision you made to hold back at C-2. It seems like there are so many facets to climbing the highest mountain in the world and "the intelligence game" is definitely one of them. My fingers are still permanently crossed for a good weather window with low winds. Enjoy your rest time together. MC
quote
"Patience is seeing the big picture and knowing it is worth it." mc
(p.s. To Tam...we definitely think alike! Here is my e-mail address: mc@worldwidehealthinc.com If you ever happen to be in my neck of the woods or vice versa, it would be great to get together for a cup of coffee or tea. You never know "destiny".)
.....


Posted by: Tam - Florida Keys, USA on May 20, 2006 01:47 AM AEST

P, F & The Gang:
Patience shall persevere.
Den, keep all things in perspective.......The longer you are on the mountain, the colder the waiting beer becomes! Plus, don't listen to my Mom.....grow the beard back!
Intense thoughts to all of you for a perfect weather window.
Climb safe, climb strong.......
Tam
.....


Posted by: Tam - Florida Keys, USA on May 20, 2006 02:08 AM AEST

Me Again........
Wanted to let you all know that I heard from Jack. Sounds as if he is doing well! Jack, Vickie and I plan to share a Mojito in Key West next week. We will toast to the success of your summit!
Love & Hugs all around.........
Tam
.....


Posted by: jack on May 20, 2006 02:31 AM AEST

hello , Fi Fi and Paul,hang in there. so close!! You will have a big blue summit day. I spoke to Budo yesterday and we know you can do it.stay in the race. tell Dennis that i spoke to Tami lasst night. i am leaving for Key West on Monday. Mexico flights did not work Congrats to Karl, Marcus, Wally, Sophia, JF, Justin hello to Tashi.Wish i was still climbing with you. BIG POINT WORDS FOR dDave:all five words worth 392 points in this situation: OXAZEPAM, BEZIQUES, CAZIQUES, MEZQUITS, and MEZQUITE
.....


Posted by: karlyne on May 20, 2006 12:27 PM AEST

fi, how did you go get all hen info sent last week
.....